Saturday, December 11, 2010
Unit 5 Subtle Mind
I felt this exercise was not as effective as the loving kindness. There was a lot more emotions released in the last exercise. Focusing on my breathing did not help to relief my busy mind. I think actually breathing in the negativity and suffering helped me to feel free from emotions that I had been holding onto for a long time. Since the last exercise, I have felt relief and see those individuals in a different way. The subtle mind would be great if you need a moment to step away from your desk or screaming kids just to take some deep breaths and get yourself together, but I didn't change my thinking I was just focused on my breathing for that moment and when I was done, I was back to the thoughts in my head. I was not frustrated, but it can have some benefit if you are feeling anxiety. For me personally, by practicing spiritual devotion it helps me to handle things in a different way. I incorporate exercise along with reading my bible daily. I've had a really rough year and all my trials have actually brought me closer to God and exercising has helped me to lose 25 lbs, these two connections have made me more confident and happier. When I look back and I was not applying them to my life I was unmotivated, overweight and my mental state was sadness most of the time. So I am living proof that spiritual wellness has a connection to mental and physical wellness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Angela. You are a great example of the mind-body connection and how taking control of the mental, physical, and spiritual aspects can improve overall health and wellness. Congratulations on losing weight--I can relate to your experience and have found exercise to be a great respite from daily stress. Great post!
ReplyDeleteI believe that every tool or resource that we find to calm our mind, relieve our stress, is an individual choice. It's wonderful that you have found what works for you. The subtle mind exercise is another tool that can be used. If it works thats great, if another path works better for you thats what you need to do. I don't think it's the path that is as important as the journey and the forward march to our intented destination.
ReplyDeleteAngela,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting how you mention that this exercise was much more difficult. Although it did not release the emotions that the other exercise helped me to release, I felt this was more practicle to my professional life and would in turn impact my personal life. I do, however, agree with you that breathing out all the negativety in my life and focusing on that helped me to destress and relax more effectively.
Great observations and post!