Saturday, January 1, 2011

Unit 7

The track 4 exercise was very inspiring to me. The person I focused on was my son who has special needs. I could feel his innocence, love and happiness and the part where we had to image a beam of light over this person, the light actually began to connect to me. I was distracted a couple of times by negative thoughts, but I had to tell myself to get rid of them. I still believe the loving kindness exercise was the most effective and I was able to rid some bad feelings during that meditation that I had been holding onto for a long time, but I was able to see the good qualities of my son and allowed them to flow freely into my mind. It is hard raising a child with a disability and in spite of how some people treat him, I am truly blessed to have children in my life that make me laugh, help me to stay strong and taught me the beauty of life and not to take it for granted.

4 comments:

  1. Angela,

    It is great that you had such a good experience with this week's exercise. I have worked with adults with special needs for more than 10 years and believe me I know how emotionally draining it can be. I could not however imagine how difficult it has to be when it is your own child. At least I get to go home and leave work at work I hope that you have a good support system in place and if you ever need to talk I am here for you.

    Take Care,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one thing I lack I have people in my life but they dont want to understand or participate. I rely on God, hope and faith that everyday he gets better.. we have come a long way but could use more people in my life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am so glad you had such an experience. While I do not know what it is like to have a child with special needs I know the amazing feeling of having children. I also got distracted a few time and so I did this meditation a few times before I got the full benefit from it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was touched and emotionally moved by your post... Having a special needs child is not only sometimes heartbreaking, but I know can be very rewarding also. I used to drive for our school district and I was a special-needs bus driver. Those children touched my heart every day and made my job enjoyable. I got to meet the parents of all of my children and found that they all possess the gift of loving unconditionally. You sound very strong and very loving and your child is very lucky to have you.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete